If you are new to gardening and would like to know the garden supplies you will need in your gardening journey, fasten your seat belt as we are going to look at them in this article. Some of these may seem obvious, but it’s important to have all the basics you may need as a beginner in gardening.
Gardening is so much fun to engage in. Whether you are planting, fertilizing, or watering your plants, it is a great way to engage in a new hobby, or even spend time with your loved ones. However, there are some things you need to be aware of before starting your gardening venture. This article will give you a list of garden supplies you need in your gardening journey.
The Basics of Gardening – Garden Supplies
It’s relaxing and rejuvenating. However, it can also be very challenging and time-consuming. You will need the right equipment and the right tools to get started.
This is a list of garden supplies you will need to get started:
- Garden spade or shovel. This is the most essential tool you will need to start gardening. A spade is a great tool for digging holes and trenches in the ground. It’s especially useful for planting raised beds and flower beds. A good shovel is the best tool to dig with. It can handle the weight of any digging task and make a much cleaner hole than a spade.
- Wheelbarrow. A wheelbarrow is a great way to transport materials from one area of your garden to another. It can also be used to bring materials into your gardens such as compost, soil and mulch.
- Garden hose. A garden hose is an essential tool for watering your garden. You can use it to water your plants with ease and requires minimal effort. It is a great tool for cleaning up your garden, or washing down the tools you use in your garden. You can use a garden hose to water plants, clean your tools, wash your car and water your lawn.
- Garden hand trowel. A planting trowel makes it easier to plant seeds or seedlings. It also helps you to dig holes with ease.
- Weed Whacker. Using a weed whacker is an easy way to get rid of unwanted plants that have taken over your garden. You can use a weed whacker to trim your trees and shrubs, cut down weeds and even remove grass from lawn areas.
- Rototiller. A rototiller is a machine that helps you break up and turn the soil in your garden.
- Garden Hoe. A garden hoe is a useful tool to help you dig holes in the ground, for planting or digging out roots.
- Hand-Crank Mulching Tiller. If you’re looking for a way to mulch your garden, then look no further than the hand-crank mulching tiller.
- Mulching Mower. Having a mulching mower is a great way to cut down the grass on your lawn, or to help you cut down weeds.
- Soil testing kit. A soil testing kit helps you determine the nature of your soil. You’ll need a soil testing kit that is designed to test for pH, soil conductivity, total nitrogen content and other properties of your soil.
- Organic gardening guide. An organic gardening guide will help you choose which plants are best suited to your garden. It also includes instructions on how to grow these plants.
- Organic fertilizer or commercial fertilizer. Prepare a fertilizer you are comfortable with and one that will provide your plants with the right nutrients.
- Gardening gloves. You will require gardening gloves that fit properly to help you work with ease without coming into contact with soil, or potentially harming yourself.
- Germination trays. These are small containers with a lid that can be used for seed germination.
- Grow lights. A grow light is an artificial light source that helps to speed up the growth of plants without the need for sunlight. It helps to increase plant growth by allowing plants to absorb more light.
- Potting soil. When growing your plants in pots, you need to use the right type of soil for them. The best potting soil has the right nutrients and moisture levels for your plants to thrive. You can buy potting soil from garden stores or online.
- Pruning shears. If you want to trim your plants, then you need pruning shears. Pruning shears are a must-have if you are growing flowers in pots.
- Cuttings. When you are ready to start your seedlings, you can use cuttings.
- Garden auger. A garden auger is useful for digging planting holes.
- Rake. You can make your own rake by using an old wooden spoon and a piece of wire. This way you don’t have to buy one.
- Watering can. You can use a big plastic container to store water and keep it outside. A watering can is useful for watering plants if you do not have a hose.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which Tool is Used for Digging?
A garden hoe is best suited for shallow soil. For deeper soil, the "spade" is best.
Which Tool is Used for Weeding?
Weeding is done with the so-called 'weeders', which are machines that remove unwanted plants. Weeds compete with crop plants for light, nutrients and water and therefore reduce the yield and quality of the crop. Spades, forks and rakes can also work too.
What Does a Hoe Tool Do?
A hoe is used to dig trenches, holes or channels. It's essentially a long-handled shovel. You can use it in hard ground, but it's much easier on soft ground. What is the difference between a trowel and a hoe? A trowel is designed for filling dirt and sand into larger holes or trenches.
What are the Best Battery Powered Garden Tools?
There are several different types of battery operated garden tools that are available. These can be divided into three main categories: corded, cordless and hand-held. Each has its own advantages and disadvantages. The most popular tool is the hand-held electric hedge trimmer. It is the most versatile and is often used for trimming hedges, shrubs, trees, grass and more.
What is the Most Popular Garden Tool?
The most popular garden tool in the US is probably the shovel or the wheelbarrow; with hundreds of thousands of them sold every year. They are both the most widely used pieces of garden equipment in the world.
Summary of Garden Supplies
We have tried all we can to think of the most basic garden supplies you will need in your gardening journey; however, this list is not exhaustive. There are many more garden supplies you may want to add according to personal preferences. Online stores like Amazon are well stocked with quality tools that you can get for yourself. What are your must haves when it comes to gardening?
Read more about 8 Fastest Ways On How To Get Rid Of Voles